WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue Student Farm and the Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture invite farmers and fruit and vegetable growers to attend the Small Farm Education Day and Webinar Series this summer.
“Designed with smallholder farmers in mind, we are excited to host several educational events this summer, including an in-person field day. We look forward to interacting with growers and discussing how we can help you run your farm, ”said Petrus Langenhoven, Co-Director of Purdue Student Farm and Purdue Horticultural and Hydroponics Specialist.
The In-Person Country Day will be held at West Lafayette Student Farm on July 29. Purdue experts will share demonstrations on weed identification, soil health, vegetable diseases and pests, and good agricultural practices for post-harvest operations. Demonstrations of specific crops will include hemp, onion, bell pepper, eggplant, bell pepper and tomato in various production systems.
The virtual webinar series will be held on the following dates from noon to 1:30 p.m. ET.
- August 2: Insights into Food Safety, Food Safety for Value-Added Businesses, Safety of Fresh Produce and Good Agricultural Practices for Small Farms.
- August 4: Landscaping for the farm, social media marketing, link between markets and production.
- August 6: Soil samples, field soil diagnostics and soil health, cover crop biomass use for you.
- August 9: Tomato bacterial spot control using alternative products, perennial weed management, small-scale and post-harvest onion production.
- August 11: Field production of specialty melons, Production of specialty melons with high tunnel, Production of vegetables in raised beds.
- August 13: Pathogens in hemp, biological control of hemp aphids, management of aphids and mites in high tunnel strawberries.
Writer: Abby Leeds, 765-494-7817, [email protected]
Sources: Lori Jolly-Brown, 765-494-1296, [email protected]
Petrus Langenhoven, 765-496-7955, [email protected]
Agricultural communications: 765-494-8415;
Maureen Manier, Head of Department, m[email protected]