For those who have spent nearly seven months watching Yankees and Mets games, it’s a glorious time of year, where both teams are trying to figure out – to try – with what made them suffer, in especially those failures that viewers couldn’t miss from spring practice.
In the cases of Clint Frazier and Gary Sanchez – both now presumably former Yankees since Frazier has been released and general manager Brian Cashman is seeking an upgrade behind the plate – both suffered from clear and near-fatal Yankees disease. , the active belief that every swing, even on low ground and two-stroke outside, should produce home runs.
Sanchez has become Part A of a franchise steeped in denial, as season after season everyone tuning in to the YES telecast, from Aaron Boone to Michael Kay, has noticed his weekly improvements as a catcher. and .200 hitter who came back for cover after striking out. at the same rambling pace, he chased past bullets.
The reason we, looking at home, didn’t recognize such improvements was because we didn’t see any, although Sanchez’s exit speed on foul balls became a reason for be delighted.
As a receiver, while Sanchez was improving, he was not yet reaching minimally reasonable facsimile status. He constantly shrunk his glove pocket trying to throw backhands he should have moved to block or catch with an open glove.
Frazier was unlucky enough to hit a few home runs entering the majors, so he was probably struck by the idea that he is a hitter, downplaying his talents to reach first base in favor of shaking hands with first-hand coaches. and third base. running home.
If the Yankees tried to dismiss him from such a stupid idea, it didn’t take. Old-school scans show that as a Yankee, he hit 235 times in 942 batters, 25 percent of the time, 36 percent last season when he hit .186. He must have thought he was Giancarlo Stanton. Or Gary Sanchez.
But what grieved the Yanks cursed baseball. Everyone knows baseball has taken some really bad turns towards self-destruction, but no one is doing anything about it.
So Thanksgiving becomes a great time to get together with friends and family to enjoy the sights and sounds of the season – especially no one is knocking in the shift.
All Thor a good cause
Let’s hear it for Noah Syndergaard for bringing Mike Francesa out of his last retirement. (Sitting Bull never returned the ice cream maker I gave him at his first retirement party).
Ohio State-Michigan on Saturday comically recalls one of its extraordinary, omniscient, and utterly false expert touts: Michigan against OSU in 2018. Michigan’s defense, he breathed, is so good that the OSU would be lucky not to be excluded.
Michigan lost 62-39 – the most points it has ever allowed.
For better or worse, a lot of people paid a lot of money to see LeBron James play at the Garden on Tuesday. I was told the cheapest aftermarket ticket was $ 200 to look just under the ozone layer. But James didn’t play because he was suspended.
So reader Charles Fowler has an idea: Any short-term suspensions – James was for one game – should only be served during the player (s) ‘home games.
After all, the business-conscious NBA is threatening to fine teams that rest star players on national TV shows. The Lakers-Knicks on Tuesday were on TNT.
What we are told against. What We See: Weekly those who call the Jets games on TV tell us that LB CJ Mosley is very special, sensational. Weekly, however, there is little visual evidence.
It is easily seen blocked. We see him missing tackles. We see him among the last to recognize the coin, often when the coin has gone well. But what do we know?
The graphic, as seen during Dolphins-Jets on CBS Sunday, referred to Bears QB Justin Fields in the Chicago game against the Ravens: “J. Champs: out for the game, ribs. “
“Don’t you think it’s a little unprofessional?” asks reader Sam Agami. “I have to think Fields could have waited until the end of the game to have a barbecue.”
More graphics: ESPN’s Saturday football studio show ran the “news” that Pitt has an “83 percent” chance of beating Virginia, while Virginia has a “17 percent” chance of beating Pitt. Pencils… down!
Burn baby burn … a time out
Years ago a football announcer, and I forgot who it was, noticed that a team had just been forced to call a time out due to confusion. So, he said, the head coach was forced to “burn a time out”. Good description, because the wait time was unnecessary.
But for no known reasonable reason, virtually all wait times taken are now called “burns”. You don’t use or call timeouts, you just burn them.
On Saturday, just before halftime against Penn State, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano called for a strategic time-out. BTN’s Cory Provus said he had “burned a time out”.
The next day, as the Dolphins faced the Jets, 13 seconds to go, Miami called for a common sense time-out. Still, CBS’s Adam Archuleta said Miami had to “burn a time out” – as if Miami could have saved it otherwise.
Stories that once seemed so impossible and horrible that they would make huge news are now receiving minimal attention or are simply being ignored.
Imagine being fired by Fox as a cost-cutting measure, then watching Fox’s college football TV halftime show to see no less than five guys sent to the match site to each say a meaningless line.
Oregon-Utah, Saturday on ABC, identified Utah as the team in its traditional red. But neither team wore even a point of red.
Whenever ESPN presented a mob photo of Giants-Bucs on Monday night, it was about a “fan” who appeared to have escaped from an insane criminal facility. The repetitive message: Attending NFL games is both expensive and risky.
Apparently, advertisers think Serena Williams is so loved by the American public that she can successfully endorse anything and everything. However, I do not find that to be the case, quite the contrary.
Reader Todd Ailts suggests the fan who threw up on the field during the Jazz-Kings on Saturday was just doing his part to reduce the onslaught of the court. The incident also created the unique: both teams rushed to defense at the same time.
More genuine pigskin gibberish: Fox’s Greg Olsen on Sunday after Packers RB AJ Dillon caught a pass: “He’s a phenomenal football receiver.” So Olsen must be a phenomenal nonsense pitcher.
ESPN’s Booger McFarland at Giants-Bucs halftime on Monday: “There’s no team in the NFL more reliant on left tackle than the Dallas Cowboys.”
Considering that Dallas QB Dak Prescott is more mobile than most, I wish McFarland explained why Dallas’ left tackle is more essential than, say, any “pocket-dependent” QB’s LT.
And although it’s probably none of my business, but if someone takes it out in the open field – now also known as “in space” – how open is the field? Only Michael Strahan can be tackled in space.