The use of DNA markers and estimated breeding values has allowed us to reduce our number of ram lambs to the first 50 that we will be using on the commercial herd.
This year we donated six rams to young shepherds in collaboration with the National Sheep Association. It was great to meet the six winners, chosen from 67 nominees, and I hope the Rams continue to do well for them.
We’ve had so much support in setting up and importing New Zealand genetics that it’s nice to be able to give something back.
Look in Farmers Weekly for more information on the competition and how you can apply next year.
Drilling preparations continue at a steady pace on the farm. The cat has been busy pulling a subsoiler through the ground to try and prepare for our passage to strip plowing. This year we were able to subsoil just over 242 ha (600 acres).
Driving a 3.2m subsoiler at a forward speed of 5-6 km / hour means it’s much quieter and makes a welcome change from precipitation everywhere. It was nice to settle into work.
However, we had the Cat and the combine for a few days, and I have a sneaky suspicion that I may have been responsible for the fuel shortages.
In this regard, we have been hit hard by the availability of fuel. We managed to refuel all the trucks but there were long waits at the gas stations and we had to revisit the sheep check as there was not enough fuel to do them as often as we would have liked it.
Winter drilling started with the new Mzuri and so far it has impressed with its ability to cope with high levels of surface waste and wet soil, allowing us to start drilling two to three days. sooner than we could have done otherwise.
Our goal was to delay drilling until October 1 to try to get a black-grass hunt. However, we didn’t get there until September 29 before our will was broken and we started early.
A lot of early drilling has taken place this year, with the memory of the last two years of wet drilling still in people’s minds.